I created this cheese recipe because I needed cheese for another recipe I was making. It’s really quick, easy and healthy. It has a cream cheese / hummus texture to it.
- 1 cup raw cashews, rinsed then soaked for at least 2 hours
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup water (more as required)
- Food processor
- Jar for storage
- Measurement utensils
- Place the cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a food processor.
- Blend to break the cashews down, until they form a coarse, wet meal.
- Scrape the sides of the food processor down with a spatula.
- Pour in half of the water
- Stop and scrape the machine down again.
- Pour the rest of the water in.
- Continue processing for 1-2 minutes, or until the cashew cheese is smooth and thick, adding a tablespoon of extra water if required.
- The consistency should be a little like hummus.
- Taste the cashew cheese and add lemon, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cashew cheese will keep for up to 6 days in an airtight container in the fridge.