This Lebanese inspired lentil salad is great for summer, it can be served hot or cold!
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 4 Tbsps olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 Tbsps fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground allspice (or Lebanese 7 spices)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spatula for stirring
- Chopping board
- Measurement utensils
- Boil lentils in the pot with 3 cups water.
- When they have boiled, turn the heat down to simmer until lentils are tender (this will roughly take 25 minutes).
- When they are tender, remove from heat, drain thoroughly, return to the pot and set aside.
- Chop the garlic very finely.
- Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil the frying pan, add the chopped garlic, and sauté over very low heat until garlic is barely starting to get some color (roughly 7 minutes).
- Turn off heat.
- Mix together the lemon juice, 2 Tsp. of olive oil, cumin and allspice.
- Turn heat back on under pan with the garlic, add lemon juice dressing mixture, and heat (about 1 min).
- Pour the heated dressing over the lentils.
- Gently stir to combine until lentils are well-coated.
- Chop or shred the mint and parsley (I prefer to finely chop mine).
- Stir in the mint and parsley.
- Season well with salt and black pepper and a splash of fresh lemon juice.
Nb. This salad can be served hot or cold.